Preventing Identity Theft For Businesses
Michael Murphy, CPA, CGMA
August 23, 2016
It is important to understand that there is no way to completely prevent identity theft. The following are some steps that businesses can take to help prevent the risk of falling victim to this crime:
1. Conduct a background check before hiring an employee who will have access to customer’s
2. Use micro-shredders to dispose of any documents with personal information.
3. Conduct regular training for employees on how to protect personal information.
4. Keep all files that contain personal information in locked filing cabinets or drawers.
5. Encrypt all files that contain personal information.
6. Require a user ID and password to access all systems.
7. Install a good firewall on your computer system.
8. Use up-to-date antivirus software to detect malware on your system.
9. Do not use Social Security numbers to identify customers or employees.
10. Train employees not to open email from unknown sources.